Tuesday, March 29, 2011

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT: HEATHER MASSEY



Hey! Guess what! Today is a big day - my interview with SFR writer and blogger HEATHER MASSEY. Heather and my master/mom are buds, so of course I consented to do this intereview w/her. She's a really funny gal, with heaps of talent, so I think you will really enjoy this! (Plus she was very gracious to me - to the point of offering catnip tea)

Heather Massey is a lifelong fan of science fiction romance. She searches for sci-fi romance adventures aboard her blog, The Galaxy Express. Heather’s debut erotic sci-fi romance novel, Once Upon a Time in Space (Red Sage Publishing), features the last living descendant of Christopher Columbus on a desperate quest to find a new world. Standing in his way is Raquel, the deadliest space pirate in the galaxy.

And now, onto my interview!

RLT: Hi, Heather! Great to meet you! My master speaks highly of you. Good luck w/your new novel! Please tell us a bit about yourself…
HM:Rocco, the pleasure is all mine, meow. Thanks for your well wishes. As for who I am, I’m a blogger who searches for science fiction romance adventures aboard my blog, The Galaxy Express. That’s where readers can learn about the latest releases and news in the subgenre, as well as enter various giveaways. (Plus, they can have a bit of catnip tea and chase laser pointers if so inclined.) I’m also a published author with the release of my debut erotic sci-fi romance, ONCE UPON A TIME IN SPACE (Red Sage Publishing).

Here’s the premise: The last living descendant of Christopher Columbus embarks on a desperate quest to find a new world. Standing in his way is Raquel, the deadliest space pirate in the galaxy. *** Interested readers can download the first three chapters for free on my Book page (multiple formats available).

RLT: What draws you to the SFR genre?
HM: So many different things! SFR is about romance, mind-boggling worlds, and action-adventure all rolled into one tasty bite. The subgenre delivers an entertaining way to experience technology-based settings and science fictional concepts through the lens of heroes and heroines navigating complicated emotional and sexual bonds. While I enjoy all different kinds of sci-fi romance, it’s the larger-than-life space opera tales that first got me hooked. Additionally, I’ve always gravitated to stories with strong characterization. Sci-fi romance allows me to experience both, plus it offers themes of hope and a Happily Ever After. Then there are elements like kick-butt heroines who are empowering for readers like me. Sci-fi romance abounds with heroines who are starship captains, soldiers, space pirates, scientists, and more. If you ask me, they rule!

RLT: How do you keep your writing “fresh”
HM: I refrigerate it. Ba-da-dum! Frankly, I haven’t been at this writing thingy long enough for my prose to go stale or feel as if it’s headed that way. So far, though, I’ve discovered that if a premise is exciting enough to keep me awake at night, then that carries over to the writing.

RLT: Are you currently working on any projects?
HM:Yes, but I’m embarrassed to say they don’t include any cats. Sorry, Rocco. No dogs are included either, if that makes you feel better.

RLT: Any advice for new aspiring authors?
HM:Never give up. Never surrender. Eat your Wheaties. And if you’re writing in a niche genre, give digital publishing a try. From both my research and personal experience, the booming ebook market has been a huge advantage for science fiction romance writers looking to break in. Publishers like Red Sage Publishing, Samhain Publishing, and Carina Press, among others, can’t get enough of these stories. In a period of industry upheaval, now is the time for creative risk-taking.

RLT: what do you like to do when you’re not writing?
HM:Answer questions from cats. Oh, and solve for that whole last digit of Pi thing.

RLT: Do you have a favorite author/book?
HM:I enjoy all different kinds of stories and read widely across both authors and SFR settings (e.g., space opera, steampunk, military SF). I love enjoy discovering new-to-me authors in particular. In science fiction romance, some of my favorite books include THE OUTBACK STARS (Sandra McDonald), ALPHA (Catherine Asaro), HOPE’S FOLLY (Linnea Sinclair), INTERSTITIAL (Ann Somerville), METAL REIGN (Nathalie Gray), DRIVEN (Eve Kenin), and UNMASKED (C.J. Barry). The list is actually longer, but I know you have to take your cat nap soon, Rocco, so I’ll leave it at that.

RLT: Tell us something people would be surprised to learn about you?
HM:I can shoot laser beams from my eyes (but only on Wednesdays). I’m sure it will come in handy if aliens ever invade Earth (on a Wednesday).

RLT: Fantasy or Horror?
HM:Oh, that’s a tough one. Can’t decide. I love both equally.

RLT:Favorite Drink?
HM:Coffee.

RLT:If you could be any type of supernatural/SF character, who and why?
HM:Space pirate, because they’re so fearless.

RLT:What would you hope readers would take away from your writing?
HM:A sense of having been satisfyingly entertained, and perhaps a few Deep Thoughts. Thanks for having me, Rocco!

Thank you, Heather!
Interested to learn more about Heather and SFR? Then visit her here:
Blog: http://www.thegalaxyexpress.net/ Website:http://www.heathermassey.com/ Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/4b7l7cu Twitter (Galaxy Express)http://twitter.com/#!/thgalaxyexpress

Have a great day, and don’t forget to vote for your favorite on DANCING WITH THE STARS! I have to go cast my votes now (and no, I'm not telling you who my favorites are, Kirstie, Ralph and Hines! Although that Disney chick isn't bad either...wonder if she likes tuxedo cats?)

Tomorrow we will talk about a great charity: Kids Need 2 Read.

Until then, Meowingly yours,

ROCCO SCI FI BLOGGING CAT

1 comment:

  1. Rocco, thanks for a great time, and give my regards to your master/mom!

    ReplyDelete